This week at our home in Charleston:
- Seeding fall crops in the garden: golden and red beets, bush beans, Italian large-leaf basil, mixed salad greens.
- Enjoying a full week of vegetarian cooking, and not feeling like we’re missing out on anything.
- Discovering, at the Mount Pleasant Farmer’s market, purveyors of local, happy animal products: Mibek Farms, Fili-West Farms, Righteous Ranch, and Wishbone Heritage Farm.
- Purchasing tickets to the West Coast for Christmastime adventures.
- Completing a lean-to style dog house in the backyard. Or, “dog palace,” as Rebecca likes to call it.
Monday and Tuesday
Toasted Camembert Open Baguettes with Shallots, Thyme, and Raspberries from The Best of Rose Elliot Cookbook, Garden Salad
Going Away Party for a Friend Who is Being Deployed
Thursday and Friday
Saturday and Sunday
Pappardelle with Summer Squash and Arugula-Walnut Pesto, from Food and Wine
On the back burner (a to-cook list):
- Corn and Fregola with Grilled Halloumi Cheese
- Blueberry-Pecan Galette
- Beet Baba Ghanoush
- Sweet Potato Baba Ghanoush
- Tomato Peach Salad with Tofu Cream from Leon’s Oyster Shop, Charleston, SC
- Butterflied Trout with Spicy Lettuce, Celery, and Herbs